Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your 13th District Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, each year Congresswoman Tlaib has the privilege of nominating a limited number of people to four of the five service academies. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
To request a nomination, please review the instructions below and submit your application to my Detroit Neighborhood Service Center before November 6th. In addition, in order to be considered for a nomination, you must have an application on file with the academies for which you wish to be considered using your local address at which you reside within the 13th Congressional District of Michigan. If you are applying from an address outside of the 13th Congressional district, your application for a nomination may not be considered. For more information, please review Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please email Rashida@mail.house.gov (SUBJECT: ACADEMY NOMINATION)
To be considered for a Military Academy Nomination, please provide the following materials:
Nomination Application Checklist:
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- ACT/SAT Scores. Due to COVID-19 our office will provide a waiver for students unable to submit their test scores by the application deadline, but will request students to submit when and if available. However, students should also confirm with their appropriate academy to confirm expectations.
- Resume of current extracurricular activities or extracurricular activities (Due to COVID-19, 2020 extracurricular activities will be reviewed differently).
- Letter to Congressman Tlaib about why you want to attend a service academy
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
- Academy Nomination Preference (i.e. U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. Military Academy (West Point), U.S. Naval Academy)
- Signed authorization form (if applicant is under 18 years)
Nomination Application Timeline:
- Nomination Applications Open
- Academies Nomination Virtual Info Session, October 7th , Details TBD
- Nominations Submission Deadline, November 6th
- All application materials must be submitted by 5pm EST (See checklist above). Applications can be submitted by mail (please make sure all materials are mailed before November 4th) or students can submit their application in person at the following drop times: November 4th 2pm-6pm or November 6th 10am-4pm.
- Students can also schedule a drop time at Rashida@mail.house.gov.
- Nomination Panel Review with candidates, week of November 30th and week of December 7th
- Congressional Deadline for Nominations, Jan 31st (DEC 31st for outgoing Congresspersons)
If you have any additional questions please call our office at (313) 463-6220 or email Rashida@mail.house.gov.
Nomination materials can also be sent to our Detroit Neighborhood Service Center
7700 2nd Ave. Detroit, MI 48202
ATTN: Office of Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, Academy Nominations