Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your 13th District Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, each year Congresswoman Tlaib has the privilege of nominating a limited number of people to four of the five service academies. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
To request a nomination, please review the instructions below and submit your application to my Detroit Neighborhood Service Center before October 30th. In addition, in order to be considered for a nomination, you must have an application on file with the academies for which you wish to be considered using your local address at which you reside within the 13th Congressional district of Michigan. If you are applying from an address outside of the 13th Congressional district, your application for a nomination may not be considered. For more information, please review Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please email Rashida@mail.house.gov (SUBJECT: ACADEMY NOMINATION) and provide the following materials:
• Current photo
• High school transcript
• American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
• Resume of extracurricular activities
• An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
• Minimum of three letters of recommendation
• Academy Nomination Preference (i.e. U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. Military Academy (West Point), U.S. Naval Academy)
Academy Nominations Timeline:
• Academy Nominations Meet & Greet, October 2nd Wayne County Community College Ted Scott Campus 9555 Haggerty Road Belleville, MI 48111.
• Application Deadline for Congressional Nominations, Wednesday, October 30th .
• Nomination Panel Interview with Candidates: November 1st-16th.
• Congressional Deadline for Nominations Jan 31st (DEC 31st for outgoing Congresspersons)
If you have any additional questions please call our office at (313) 463-6220.
Nomination materials can also be sent to our Detroit Neighborhood Service Center
7700 2nd Ave. Detroit, MI 48202
ATTN: Academy Nominations