Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your 12th District Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, each year Congresswoman Tlaib has the privilege of nominating a limited number of people to four of the five service academies. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
To request a nomination, please review the instructions below and submit your application to my Detroit Neighborhood Service Center before November 17th. In addition, in order to be considered for a nomination, you must have an application on file with the academies for which you wish to be considered using your local address at which you reside within the 12th Congressional District of Michigan. If you are applying from an address outside of the 12th Congressional district, your application for a nomination may not be considered. For more information, please review Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please email Rashida@mail.house.gov (SUBJECT: ACADEMY NOMINATION)
To be considered for a Military Academy Nomination, please provide the following materials:
Nomination Application Checklist
- Online Application (see electronic form below)
- ACT/SAT Scores
- Letter to Congresswoman Tlaib about why you want to attend a service academy
- 3 Recommendations (recommenders can use the sample form or submit their own letter) High School Transcript
- Signed student authorization and Parent authorization (if applicant is under 18 years)
- Signed authorization form (if applicant is under 18 years)
- Please make sure all materials are mailed before November 17th
Nomination Application Timeline
- Nomination Applications Open on Monday, September 11th
- Nominations Submission Deadline, Friday, November 17th
- All application materials must be submitted by 5pm EST (See checklist above). Applications can be submitted by mail (please make sure all materials are mailed before November 17th) or students can submit their application at our office.
- Students can also schedule a drop time at Rashida@mail.house.gov, Subject: Academy Nomination.
- Nomination Panel Review with candidates, Week of November 27th or December 4th
- Nomination letters sent to candidates, Friday, December 8th (or 2 days after interviews)
- Nominations submitted to academies, Friday, December 15th
If you have any additional questions please call our office at (313) 463-6220 or email Rashida@mail.house.gov.
Nomination materials can also be sent to our Detroit Neighborhood Service Center
7800 W. Outer Drive
Detroit, MI 48235
ATTN: Office of Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, Academy Nominations