Committees and Caucuses
Congresswoman Tlaib proudly serves on the following committees:
- House Committee on Financial Services : The Committee oversees all components of the nation's housing and financial services sectors including banking, insurance, real estate, public and assisted housing, and securities. The Committee continually reviews the laws and programs relating to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Federal Reserve Bank, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and international development and finance agencies such as the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. The Committee also ensures enforcement of housing and consumer protection laws such as the U.S. Housing Act, the Truth In Lending Act, the Housing and Community Development Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Community Reinvestment Act, and financial privacy laws.
In a May 21, 2018 Committee on Financial Services hearing, Rep. Tlaib implored U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson to use his experience growing up poor in Detroit to guide his agency's policies.
These are the Financial Services subcommittees Congresswoman Tlaib also serves on:
- Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy
- Subcommittee on the Environment- Vice Chair
- House Committee on Oversight and Reform : The Committee on Oversight and Reform is the main investigative committee in the U.S. House of Representatives. It has authority to investigate the subjects within the Committee's legislative jurisdiction as well as "any matter" within the jurisdiction of the other standing House Committees.
In a June 12, 2019 House Committee on Oversight and Reform hearing, Rep. Tlaib said the Trump administration was attempting to exclude communities of color in the upcoming census and. She added it was a "racialized" decision.
These are the Oversight and Reform subcommittees Congresswoman Tlaib also serves on:
- Oversight and Investigations
- Housing Community Development and Insurance
- Consumer Protections and Financial Institutions
In addition, Rep. Tlaib has joined the following caucuses:
- Auto Caucus
- Black Maternal Healthcare Caucus
- Congressional Progressive Caucus
- Democratic Women's Caucus
- Free Syria Caucus
- Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Legislative Caucus
- Historically Black Colleges & Universities Caucus
- House Manufacturing Caucus
- LGBT Equality Caucus
- Medicare for All Caucus
- Pro-Choice Caucus
- Small Brewers Caucus